UVU PREP 2017 Student Program Assistant Mentor Job Description
- Ensure the safety and appropriate behavior of 30 program youth in your charge
- Attend classes with students, assist instructors and students as needed or requested
- Mentor and or teach students as needed during Research and Study class period, as well as providing educational support activities throughout program
- Work with UVU PREP staff in planning, preparation, and coordination of special UVU PREP learning activities
- Serve as an example to the UVU PREP students in your charge
- Foster the development of a growth mindset, confidence in leadership, peer mentoring and educational achievement.
- University student with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Prior experience working with adolescents preferred
- Must be available to work – May 9th and May 11th (5:00 p.m. – 8 p.m.) Program Orientation
- Must be available to work May 30, 2017 – June 2, 2017 from 8:30 a.m. -4:30 p.m. (Staff training week)
- Must be available to work program dates: June 5 – July 20, 2017 (week of July 3-7 –off for staff and students). Program times 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 Monday-Thursday (1.5 hr. lunch break), and Fridays 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Secondary Education, Mathematics, Science, Engineering, or other related majors preferred
- Lead classroom discussions/activities when needed
- Ability to utilize effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student records
- Mentor positive attitudes in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics subjects with students one-to-one or in small groups.
Ability to assess student work
Supervise 30 junior high students
Ability to actively engage with youth to build a team mentality about becoming leaders and mentors in their own community.
Must be available to work May 9, 2017 from 5-8 pm and May 11 from 5-8pm
May 30, 2017 to June 2, 2017 (Staff training week) 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Must be available to work Program Dates June 5 – July 20th from 9:30AM to 4:30PM Monday-Thursday (take a 1.5 hr. lunch break), and 8:30AM to 1:30PM on Fridays
Two references needed.
UVU PREP 2017 Job Posting Links
Position Title Job Posting Req ID
Program Assistant (staff) (7) https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/26011 JPP02817
Teaching Assistant (staff) (4) https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/25946 JPP02217