THIS INTERNSHIP PROVIDES EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE FOR STUDENTS WHO ARE CONSIDERING CFLE (Certified Family Life Educator) CERTIFICATION!!!
The Strengthening Families Program (SFP) is a nationally and internationally recognized parenting and family strengthening program for high-risk and regular families. SFP is an evidence-based family skills training program found to significantly reduce problem behaviors, delinquency, and alcohol and drug abuse in children and to improve social competencies and school performance. Child maltreatment also decreases as parents strengthen bonds with their children and learn more effective parenting skills.
1. Facilitate Strengthening Families Curriculum at assigned site
2. Attend SFP trainings
3. Prepare each week with assigned partner for week’s age-related class
4. Prepare to facilitate or actively participate in the family class
5. Participate in a debriefing each week after the families leave
6. Engage, mentor, and communicate with assigned family to encourage
their participation and success in the program (e.g., greeting, eating with
family, and calling family each week at home).
• Family Life major (or Behavioral Science major with interest in Family Life Education)
• Junior/Senior standing preferred
• 10 hours per week (includes 5:30-8:30 on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evening at a school in Orem or Pleasant Grove)
• Need to commit two nights per week for 3 credits in a semester
• Background check required
• Some Spanish-speaking interns are needed
Dr. Grant Richards
Family Studies Program, Behavioral Science Dept.
Utah Valley University
800 W. University Pkwy, Orem, UT