Organization Description: Teens Act is a nonprofit based in Provo with the mission to empower underserved high school students to graduate from high school and go on to higher education. It works in the Provo Districts and is expanding, and is looking for an intern to help with media work. This is a great opportunity to gain experience in this area while also helping improve the prospects of struggling students in our community. Hours are flexible and working from home is an option.
Location Office Address: 363 N University Ave #108, Provo, UT
Hours: At least 8 hours a week, Semester commitment. More hours are available if desired. Flexible Schedule. (A weekly 30-60 minutes meeting)
Note: These positions are for both those seeking credit and non-credit opportunities
Deadline: Open until filled and priority will be given to early applicants
How to Apply: Submit a one-page resume to email@example.com
Questions: Contact by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call/text Kelsie Gleason (Associate Director) at 702-525-0514
Teens Act Program Coordinator Intern — 2 positions available
We are looking for passionate individuals who can assist the Directors in implementing the Teens Act programs. Our goal is to empower about 200 underserved high school students in the Provo School District and beyond.
● Assist in supporting a Student Success Class, which is an elective class during school hours at Provo High, and Independence High School
● Assist with the Afterschool Mentoring Program and Parents Support Program at each school.
● Assist in recruiting necessary volunteer mentors and other community volunteers by working with universities and community partners
● Help develop the curriculum and training materials
● Help raise additional funding for program supplies and activities
● Work at least 7-9 hours a week
● Availability to help from this current time until May
● Ability to work required hours
● Excellent writing and communication skills
● Ability to present to professionals and educators
● Self-motivated, proactive, team player
● Experience in teaching, mentoring, and/or working with youth
● Secondary education students preferred
● Ability to communicate in both English and Spanish preferred
PR Specialist Intern — 2 positions available
● Work to improve and implement our social media plan to maximize engagement and increase online presence (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.).
● Design creative and unique posts for high click-through rates and engagement
● Contribute to website development and design.
● Draft and send email pitches to local and national news organizations about upcoming events and news.
● Assist in designing and writing a monthly newsletter.
● Create press releases and media kits to facilitate news coverage.
● Design and distribute a variety of flyers, newsletters and posters for events, hiring and internal use.
● Create promotional material to distribute to volunteers, donors, students and others.
● Work to expand and improve strategic campaigns for growth by reaching new publics, narrowing messaging, creating engaging content and creating relationships.
● Competent with the use of online social media
● Experience writing press releases and pitching media
● Demonstrate initiative and innovation in finding effective public relations strategies
● Base-level familiarity with design tools such as InDesign and Photoshop is a plus
Teens Act Mentor – Tutor Intern — 4 positions available
We are looking for passionate individuals who can assist the Director(s) in implementing the Teens Act program as mentors to tutor our students at local high schools in the Provo School District.
● Mentor students with their schoolwork, homework, credit recovery and leadership skills in a Teens Act classroom, in other school classes/programs, after school programs, individually, and/or through Parent Support.
● Work with the student and teacher(s) to ensure the best learning environment for our students.
● Volunteers will commit to work weekly with students.
● Experience/interest in working with youth.
● Consistent time commitment and reliable.
● Passion and enthusiasm for the role of education.
● High School level academic skills.
● Provo High School (1199 Lakeshore Dr., Provo, UT 84601)
● Independence High School (636 Independence Ave, Provo, UT 84601)
● Timpview High School (3570 Timpview Dr., Provo, UT 84604)
Teens Act Grant Writer Specialist Intern — 3 positions available
Teens Act is a nonprofit based in Provo with a mission to empower underserved high school students to graduate from high school and go on to higher education. Our goal is to empower about 200 underserved high school students in the Provo School District and beyond. We are looking for a person who is interested in our work and in writing grants that will help fund our work. Our program is mainly offered at Provo High School and Independence High School in Provo City but is expanding.
● The qualified candidate will have excellent writing, verbal, proof reading, editing, and organizational skills.
● Candidates will also be self-motivated and detail oriented with strong communication skills, ability to prioritize, and work well under a deadline.
● English proficiency.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Suite.
● Experience writing grants preferred but not required.
● Junior/Senior students preferred but not required.
Questions: Contact by email (email@example.com) or call/text Gary Lacock (Executive Director) at 801-360-7135
Teens Act Family Support Mentor Intern — 4 positions available
We are looking for passionate individuals who can assist the Director(s) in implementing the Teens Act program services. At Teens Act we know that parents are critical to the success of their children. We work hard to involve them in as much of the educational process as possible.
Meetings with parents both at home and school equip parents with the vision and skills necessary to nurture their students’ quest for higher education. At these meetings we discuss the students needs, their grades, Teens Act curriculum, learning outcomes and program services, and of course post secondary and higher education plans.
Assigned mentors call parents monthly, visit homes as needed and have quarterly meetings at school to update them on student progress and address any specific individual needs. We also connect with other parent support programs in the schools and communities that we work in.
● Assist in supporting High School students by meeting with students and their parents.
● Working with high school parent liaisons, teachers, and staff.
● Attend a weekly team meeting.
● Self-motivated, proactive, team player.
● Ability to work required hours.
● Strong communication skills.
● Experience in teaching, mentoring, and/or working with youth is a plus.
● Ability to communicate in both English and Spanish preferred.
Teens Act Event Planning Intern — 2 positions available
We are looking for passionate individuals who can assist in event planning. This is a great opportunity to serve our community while developing your leadership and planning skills.
· Assist in coordinating fundraising events.
· Help recruit necessary volunteers and develop an event planning team.
· Assist with the implementation of events.
· Help find event sponsors and partners.
· Attend a regular team meeting.
· A current university student, preferably with related course work.
· Outreach and communication skills.
· Great attention to detail, enthusiasm, and desire to be a team player.
· Excellent research skills.
· Knowledge of Google Drive and MS Office Suite to manage data.
Teens Act Editor Specialist Intern — 2 positions available
We are looking for an intern to help with our research. It is a great opportunity to gain research experience while also helping improve the prospects of struggling students in your community. Hours are flexible and working from home an option as well.
● Revise, edit and strengthen grant proposals and impact reports to donors and sponsors.
● Revise, edit and strengthen original marketing copy and content to enhance existing marketing and communications collateral (print publications, websites and promotional materials).
● Conduct fact-checking to ensure accuracy and authentic details.
● Provide editorial service support to curriculum development team including, proofreading and updating existing copy and content.
Qualification: The qualified candidate will have excellent writing, verbal, proof reading, editing, and organizational skills. Ideal candidates will also be self-motivated and detail- oriented with strong communication skills, ability to prioritize, and work well under deadlines. Specific requirements include:
● Proficiency in Microsoft Suite
● Experience editing/writing preferred
Teens Act Teacher Assistant Intern — 3 positions available
We are looking for passionate individuals who can assist the Teens Act teacher in implementing the Teens Act programs as a teacher’s assistant. If you have good teaching, leadership, and communication skills as well as a passion for helping teenagers succeed, please apply! This is a great opportunity to serve your community while developing your teaching skills and adding to your leadership experience.
● Assist the teacher by helping coordinate the program during the Student Success Class, Afterschool Mentoring Program, and Parent Support Program
● Help students recover lost credits (failed classes) and improve life and study skills
● Motivate and encourage students to participate in opportunities and take advantage of resources provided by Teens Act and the community to succeed in school
● Track student performance and report on student progress to their teacher and directors
● Attend weekly team meetings
● Previous experience in teaching, mentoring, or working with at-risk youth is a plus.
● Spanish proficiency a plus
● Be able to work about 7-9 hours a week (meetings + class hours) for at least a semester
● One year commitment is a plus
● At Provo High School (PHS) the class is held every day (10:45-12:10 PM Tue. -Fri. and 10:25-11:40 Mon.)
● At Independence High School (IHS) the class is held every day (12:12- 1:06 PM Mon.-Thur. and 10:49-11:34 PM Fri.)
● At Timpview High School (THS) students are assisted in Advisory classes (10:14- 10:56 PM Tuesday)